My RHCE experience

It was one fine morning in March 2011 when I was asked to do redhat certification. For starters, RHCE is RedHat Certified Engineer which is a genuine and worthy recognition of our knowledge in Linux. This was a big leap for me considering that I had not considered Linux as my career option. I was into another application till then. Redhat certifications are weighed more because of the complexity of the exam; not that the questions are unsolvable, just that the exam is practical oriented unlike the usual 'choose the best' type. Certainly challenging.

I joined for redhat Linux course along with 6 others, in one of the reputed coaching centers in Chennai. I do not want to disclose the name of the institution; read on to know the reason. I had to pay for class, books and exam which aggregated to Rs. 30,000 which was more than my 1 month salary back then. Not only I had my reputation in office at stake but also at the risk of wasting such a huge amount. My company will reimburse exam fees; only one condition - I need to pass. To top all this, Redhat had changed the version and curriculum for the certification only a month before. I was like "damn!!!".

The classes started. I gained confidence in the first few days. The tutor was pretty sure about we passing with a score of 100%; I thought "really?", every time he said that. It was only when they started the new topics that we realised it is the first time they are teaching with the new syllabus. In fact we were the first batch in Chennai among all the centers - I was like "WHAT THE HECK!!!". With all these things kept under the hood, we were like guinea pigs only that I was aware what was happening to me. Ok now, what if we are the first batch; we have tutors, sophisticated lab to practise and the (newly bought) books. You see, tutors did not know the new topics, lab was not ready with updated version and the books had only questions and answers, no concepts. Shoot !! I was pretty much drained down in confidence by now.

The tutors somehow managed to get the lab setup ready with the updated version. Not all was lost. I had a partner in the class whom I met before the first day of the class. He was incidentally from my company. We used to practise together and vowed to each other that we will clear the exam. All these days, I was whining to my mom, close friends and sisters. For the duration of the classes up to the exam, all of them were worried and praying for me. My D-day had come and I went to the center after a strong prayer. I was dressed up as if to attend an interview - formal shirt, trousers, shoes; only thing missing was the tie. I still remember how my class mates made fun of me. :D  This lighter moment was a much needed break in all the pressure.

We were seated in the exam hall that had 2 or 3 cameras. It did not matter to me as that was not the core problem. I was like "will the questions be easy", "will I pass", "what if my desktop crashes?!?!!". Damn. I was having the wildest of imaginations. The exam started after basic formalities and I felt happy seeing the questions. I finished each task and double checked the output before leaving the hall. There was a short break after which we had one more exam. We came back for the second exam. This one was tougher compared to the first; but I was confident of completing the given tasks. Through with the same routine, I came out of the exam hall. Came home fingers crossed, praying to all forms of God on the way. Results were e-mailed the same night and voila, I passed both the exams with an aggregate of 90%. There is not a word to express my happiness I felt that night. Valuable points to take away - never give up and keep your well-wishers close. It would have never been possible without the confidence my friends and sisters gave me. Above all, my mom was very supportive throughout. This was truly and thoroughly a great experience. Unforgettable. Some stories do have happy ending. :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Pick: The Pursuit of Happyness

My friend who knows everything

My first blog